10.03.2005

SCOTUS

I've been hearing a lot of liberal squawking lately about John Roberts. While I'm not pleased with his record on a few issues, but his personal convictions bother me a lot less than his approach to the interpretation of the laws.
For example, I don't think that a career record of, say, fighting abortion necessarily goes hand in hand with striking down Roe v. Wade. Why? Because his job isn't to decide if he likes the conclusions of Roe personally, but to evaluate it's validity within the Constitution. And so far as I can tell, Roberts seems to "get" that.
Based on what I know, I am impressed with the choice of John Roberts for Supreme Court justice because it seems unlikely that he will stretch the laws in order to decide what we are and are not allowed to do in this country.
Or maybe I'm living in a dream world. Don't ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home