11.07.2005

The First Step Is Admitting You Have A Problem

There seems to be this odd idea that I see all the time, and I guess it's akin to "free trade." It seems that a lot of people feel that it would be wrong to make decisions about what sort of person gets to immigrate to a given country. I suppose that the reason for this is that to deny immigration or citizenship to troublesome religious or ethnic groups flies in the face of the idea that all cultures are equal.

This article has an interesting, if out-there solution to this issue. However, buyouts (although not necessarily the right idea) are light years ahead of where most Europeans seem to be now. The first step is admitting you have a problem. To me at least, it's hard to deny that there appears to be a problem. North African and Arab immigrants to European society have largely failed to assimilate, for one reason or another. But for multiculturalists, listening to their gut and their eyes may be hard work.

As for us here in the US of A, I don't think it's unreasonable to impose limits on immigration, or to demand that immigrants follow the law when entering this country. But, I love the idea of America as a free for all, a country that has been settled and continues to be settled by people from all over the world, and I don't think it's untrue at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home