10.04.2005

Starbucks Cup - A Threat To American Values!

According to BP News, Baylor University has asked Starucks to pull the coffee cup containing the "The Way I See It" quote #43: "My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don’t make that mistake yourself. Life’s too short."
This really gets under my skin for a number of reasons. First, I thought that the point of higher education was to expose students to ideas of all kinds of ideas, not to shelter them from the way other people outside their community (and inside, I'm sure) live their lives. Also, I really doubt that reading this coffee cup is going to make students suddenly just start plugging one another in the butt.
But what if they do? I don't understand how this affects my life with my opposite sex partner, or my parents marriage, or any other part of my life. But then again, I'm not just terrified that my values and lifestyle are going to die out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home